Late 2015 I was honoured with my own exhibition in museum Flehite in Amersfoort, The Netherlands. The temporary exhibition was about various forms of emigration. The fact that I am considered The Netherlands ‘first digital nomad’ apparently made me ‘museum-worthy’…
It felt so weird to stand in part of the exhibition about me… I felt truly honoured!
I had had no idea what to do with my old passports and was about to throw them in the trash when the museum approached me. Seeing them displayed like this, they suddenly felt like treasures. Each stamp is a story of travel and discovery.
They even put a tv screen playing the video of a documentary made for my latest TV interview (‘Digital Nomad Esther Jacobs bij Koffietijd‘). And they made big prints of some of my Instagram pictures of travel, food and other impressions of the life of a digital nomad. The cover of my ‘Manual for world citizens’ (Dutch: ‘Handboek voor wereldburgers‘) was used as a llife-size print on the wall. It was only a small exhibition in a temporary museum display, but the fact that they had selected me to be in it, was remarkable. The word digital nomad was just starting to become known to a wider audience; normally museums are about things from the past!
Want to become a digital nomad?
Do you see yourself live, work & play around the world as a location-independent entrepreneur?
- Still have questions?
- don’t know where to start?
- want to meet like-minded people?
If you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, then these options may be for you:
- Working remotely for a whole month and living as a digital nomad in an authentic Italian village in Puglia? Then book this workation Village Italy for 30 days.
- In my Digital Nomads book you’ll find inspiring stories and tips from other nomads. It also contains lots of practical tips & information about the mindset, registration, setting up an international company, taxes, entrepreneurship, and much more.
- Once every few months I organize an online Digital Nomad workshop. In advance, you will receive a couple of videos in which I discuss the most important topics (where to register and set up your company, what insurance to get, where to pay taxes, etc.). During the workshop you can ask all your remaining questions, we talk about your plans and you hear the experiences of other nomads.
- In my ‘One Year To Freedom’ program, I help you step by step through this entire process, on the way to more freedom.