This blog is not official advice; no extensive research has been done. I just point out what I have done, give practical hints and tips, but no guarantees. Please check and seek expert advice about what works best in your situation.
Getting (tax) registration in Mallorca
When I got my NIE a few years ago, I had to stand in line all night (or pay somebody to do that for me) to get an appointment at the NIE office. Fortunately, the process has been automated and it now takes a lot less time for European citizens. No need to stand in line anymore. However, there is still a limited number of appointments: one day it might say’ no dates available’ the next it may work. And all forms are in Spanish.
Apply for an NIE number
- Make an appointment at: https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icpplus/citar
- Fill this online form and print it: https://sede.policia.gob.es:38089/Tasa790_012/
- Take it to any local bank to pay the fee (€10,60). The bank will stamp the form.
- Bring the stamped form, your passport or identity card plus a copy of your ID to the appointment at the NIE office. Oficina de Extranjería, Calle Felicià Fuster, 7, Poligono de Levante, Palma de Mallorca
- You will need to provide a local address. This will not be checked: you can use your Airbnb address for example.
You can also get your NIE without traveling to Spain. This professional agency makes applying for an NIE easy (everything in English) and gives a €10 discount, or an additional €30 when applying for two NIE numbers at the same time (as a couple), with code “esther10″.
Do I now have to pay taxes in Spain?
If you want to become an official resident of Mallorca/ Spain, you officially have to get an NIE, register with the Spanish tax service, and register in the village of your residence; but these systems do not seem to be connected.
An NIE number is very easy to get and does not mean you have to pay taxes in Spain. Only if you spend more than 6 months a year in Spain, or earn an income in Spain, you have to register with the tax service.
Easy passport renewal and ‘residents’ travel discounts within Spain